PROJECT

PROJECT2020.08.03

Stadtcasino Basel / ヘルツォーク&ド・ムーロン

歴史的建造物の伝統を再構築した音楽ホール

19世紀のカルチャー・マイルの台頭と20世紀の都市衰退
19世紀には、バーゼル旧市街の南端に沿って、街の要塞や旧バルフュッセー修道院と聖マグダレン修道院の隣接する建物が取り壊され、現在ではカルチャー・マイル(マイルストーン)と呼ばれる場所がつくられた。これらの開発は、当時の都市と建築のビジョンを反映している。
メルキオール・ベリの設計によるカジノ(1826年)とブレムライン劇場(1831年)に続き、19世紀後半にはヨハン・ヤコブ・シュテーリンの設計によるネオバロック様式の重要な建築物が建設された。バルフュッセル広場と聖アルバン・グラーベンの間に位置するこれらの建物には、クンストハル(1872年)、シュタットシアター(1875年)、ムジークザール(1876年)、シュタインシュルハウス(1877年)、スカルプトレンハル(1887年)が含まれている。
1939年に旧カジノは解体され、建築家ケルシュタット&ブロートベックの設計による新しいカジノが建設された。1975年に旧シュタットシアターが取り壊された際には、その隙間に新しい劇場のための広場がつくられ、かつてのマイルストーンの終わりを告げることになった。元の建物のうち、クンストハル、シュクルプテンハレ、ムジークザールのみが現存している。

2007年のプロジェクトは住民投票で却下
1939年に建設されたカジノに代わる新しい建物のプロジェクトが、2007年の国民投票で否決された。ザハ・ハディドによるこのプロジェクトは、建築コンペで1等賞を受賞したものの、その重厚感を主な理由に国民から却下された。数年後の2012年には、質的に不十分で限られた空間を、1876年の歴史的なムジークザールの付帯施設を収容するためにどのように再編成するか、という都市調査の依頼を受けた。第1段階では、ヨーロッパで最も古く、最も重要なコンサートホールの1つであるムジークザールに焦点を当てた。このホールはバーゼル交響楽団の常設コンサートホールであり、著名なバーゼル室内管弦楽団とバーゼル・シンフォニエッタのコンサートも開催している。1400人を収容できるこのホールは、その優れた音響効果で国際的にも高く評価されている。1876年にホールが建設されたとき、予算の制約からサービス施設が大幅に削減されていた。この問題は、1939年に増築工事を行うことで、部分的に解決された。さらに80年の間の大きな変化を考えると、時代遅れの窮屈な設備では、現代のコンサートホールのニーズを満たすことは不可能である。このかけがえのない音楽の場を存続させるためには、構造的な改修・修繕はもちろんのこと、広々としたロビーや演奏者のための楽屋設備、その他の技術的なサービスを提供するための増築が必要不可欠であった。

拡張
私たちは、ムジークザールのために必要とされる追加施設を収容し、より多くのスペースを確保するために、いくつかの可能性とバリエーションを探った。私たちは、ムジークザールとバルフュッセル教会の間にある、中世に建てられた回廊に焦点を当てた。その結果、この地域は歴史保存局によって建築の修正ができるようになっていた。当初、私たちはバルフュッセル教会とムジークザールの間に、かつての回廊になぞらえて建物を拡張することを提案したが、都市的、建築的、運営上の理由から、すぐにその案は却下された。ステフリン・ムジークザールは見事なパラッツォとして構想されていたが、この建物を増築しようとする試みはすべて馬鹿げたパッチワークのようなものであった。1939年の別館と同様、教会に面した増築は建物の後ろにあり、シュタイネンベルクに面したファサードよりも劣っていると思われていたであろう。
唯一の解決策は、ムジークザールを1939年のカジノから切り離された独立した建物として扱うことであった。

パラッツォ
独立した建物として、ムジークザールは1876年の既存の中心的な建物よりも大きくなければならなかった。ムジークザールは、古い建物の中から、あたかも昔からそこにあったかのように成長していかなければならない。そのため、ホワイエ、サービス施設、リハーサル室、楽屋など、一見するとネオ・バロック建築の伝統を受け継いでいるかのように見えるように設計することが非常に重要であった。私たちのデザインは、長い間古い増築の背後に隠されていたステフリンの建物の後部のファサードに基づいている。デジタルテクノロジーを用いてファサードをスキャンし、オリジナルのスケールに再構築した。
歴史的なファサードの強固な石組みは、現代の建築技術と気候制御に合わせて、断熱性のある鉄筋コンクリートのファサードに生まれ変わった。私たちは表面を覆うのは木材が最も適していると判断し、オリジナルのファサードの形状をわずかに変更し、その材料の構造的な要件を満たすことにした。
19世紀にムジークザールが建設された際には、ファサードの石に似せて塗装された巨大なコーニスのように、特定の要素は木材でつくられ、全体のデザインに合わせて塗装されていた。内部の柱も同様で、音響効果を考慮して木や漆喰でつくられていた。それらもまた、石のように見えるように塗装されていた。

レーン
コンサートホールとシュタットカジノの運営を分離するために、階段のある旧エントランスも取り壊された。これにより、1938年にベリ・ビルが取り壊され、1939年に新しいシュタットカジノが建設されるまでは、馬車が停車していたシュタイネンベルクとバルフュッセル広場を直接結ぶことができるようになったのである。このようにして、ムジークザールは、旧シュタイネンベルク・カルチュラル・マイルとバルフュッセル広場の両方に向けられ、バルフュッセル広場では、堂々としたバルフュッセル教会と同じ空間を共有している。教会とムジークザールの間のエリアは、かつては単に裏庭のようなものとして認識されていたが、新しいパブリック・スペースとなった。
このように都市空間を容積的に回復させることは、他の弱点にも注目させることとなった。1939年のカジノは常に広場に背を向けており、その背面ファサードはまるで集合住宅のようになっている。さらに、1980年代に設計されたバルフッサープラッツのトラムの停留所は、広場の妨げになっている。バーゼルで最も重要なパブリック・スペースの1つであるバルフュッセル広場については、今後の検討が必要であることは間違いない。

ステフリン・ムジークザール
1876年の建設以来、ムジークザールは何度も大幅に改装されてきた。最初の改装は1905年、フリッツ・シュテフリンが建設したハンス・フーバー・ホールに合わせて行われ、その際にはホール内にオルガンが設置され、天井には漆喰の装飾が施され、壁には音楽家の胸像が置かれ、色彩も一新された。2回目の大規模な改装は1939年に行われ、建築家のケルシュタット&ブロートベックの手により、古いカジノが取り壊され、現在の建物のためのスペースがつくられた。後方のバルコニーの傾斜を大幅に増やし、バルコニーから新しく建てられた建物へのアクセスを可能にした。その後、天窓と窓の閉鎖、歴史的な客席の交換、歴史的なシャンデリアの再設計、オリジナルのパーケット(寄木細工)の交換、まったく新しいカラースキームの導入など、さらなる調整が行われた。
現在のコンサートホールの修復は、広東省文化遺産局の協力を得て行われている。1905年に改修された当時の状態に復元するという目的と、ホールの音響特性を守ることを最優先に考えた。天窓と窓を再び開放し、元の客席を再現し、バルコニーの傾斜を減らし、元の1階の床の複製を敷き、1905年の配色を復元した。

ホワイエ
コンサートホールに隣接する全体の容積を拡大したことで、ホワイエやバー、リハーサル室、着替え室、サービス施設などを収容するためのスペースがいくつかの階に設けられた。ハンス・フーバー・ザールは引き続き室内楽を主催し、新しいホワイエから直接アクセスできるようになった。
コンサートホールに隣接する新しいホワイエは、パーケットとバルコニーにアクセスする2つのレベルに配置されている。コンサートホールに面したファサードを露出させ、それをミラーリングして新たな外壁とした。一方、端の壁には19世紀に流行した鏡を使用し、鏡張りの天井と相まってホールをより広々とさせている。上階ホワイエの角は側壁から切り離され、楕円形のパネルが浮いて見えるようになっている。このようにして、中央に穴の開いたホワイエの2つのレベルが1つの空間として認識されるようにした。
外側では、シュタットカジノの延長線上でのシミュレーションに焦点を当てる一方で、室内側では、形、素材、色の人工性を高めることで、19世紀の様式的要素を称えている。

階段
スタットカジノの増築は都市的な制約があるにもかかわらず、観客のためにできるだけ多くのスペースを確保したいと考えていた。そのため、ホワイエに加えて、広い階段にはロッジアのような凹部を設け、休憩時間には人々がくつろげるようにした。
錦織の壁紙は、リヨンのマニュファクチュール・プレール社のオリジナルを再現してもらった。1752年に設立された同社は、1876年にガルニエ劇場がオープンする前年に、すでにこの壁紙を織っていたという。
カジノの新しいパーケット(寄木細工)のために、特注のデザインを制作した。レンズ型の幾何学模様は壁紙と同じで、寄木細工はコンサートホールの歴史的なヘリンボーン模様の寄木細工を参考に、木目に沿って左右に敷き詰められている。
また、歴史的なクリスタルのシャンデリアからインスピレーションを得て、カジノの階段に現代的なLED照明「パルッカ」をデザインした。天井に施された槌目の銀色の金属による光の効果で、部屋の天井高が高くなるように感じられる。

ハンス・フーバー・ザール、リハーサル室とドレッシングルーム
フリッツ・シュテフリンは、コンサートホールを補完するために、1905年に室内楽用のハンス・フーバー・ザールを建設した。文化遺産局の協力を得て、大部分が復元されている。室内楽ホールとともに建てられた音楽家のホワイエや楽屋も同様に、復元された。元の配色に戻すだけでなく、史料を参考にして、後の改修で取り換えられた羽目板や窓、扉などを再構築した。
ハンス・フーバー・ザールの既存の楽屋は、カジノ協会のために増築された最上階に、新たな部屋として追加された。また、3つのドーマー窓からは、バルフッサープラッツとバルフュッセル教会、そして反対側には新たにつくられた中庭からコンサートホールの歴史的な屋根を一望することができる。
(ヘルツォーク&ド・ムーロン)

A music hall rebuilt while inheriting the tradition of historic buildings

The Rise of the Cultural Mile in the 19th Century and its Urban Demise in the 20th Century
In the course of the 19th century, the town fortifications and the adjoining buildings of the former Barfüsser and St. Magdalen Convents were demolished, making room for what we would nowadays call a Cultural Mile along the southern fringe of Basel’s Old Town. These developments reflect the urban and architectural vision of those times.
The Casino (1826) and the Blömlein Theater (1831), based on plans by Melchior Berri, were followed in the second half of the 19th century by several important buildings designed in the neo-Baroque style by Johann Jakob Stehlin. Situated between Barfüsserplatz and St. Alban-Graben, they included the Kunsthalle (1872), the Stadttheater (1875), the Musiksaal (1876), the Steinenschulhaus (1877), and the Skulpturenhalle (1887).
In 1939, the old casino was demolished to make way for a new one, designed by architects Kehlstadt & Brodtbeck, and when the old Stadttheater was torn down in 1975, the resulting gap created a plaza for the new Theater, thus definitively heralding the end of the former Cultural Mile. Of the original buildings, only the Kunsthalle, the Skulpturenhalle, and the Musiksaal have survived.

Project of 2007, Defeated in a Plebiscite
A new building project designed to replace the 1939 Casino was defeated in a plebiscite of 2007. The project by Zaha Hadid had won first prize in an architectural competition but was rejected by the people, primarily because of its heavy massing. A few years later, in 2012, we were commissioned to conduct an urban study to determine how the limited and qualitatively inadequate space could be reorganized to accommodate ancillary facilities for the historical Musiksaal of 1876. The first phase of these efforts focused on the Musiksaal, one of the oldest, most important concert halls in Europe. It is the resident concert hall of the Basel Symphony Orchestra and also hosts concerts by the renowned Basel Chamber Orchestra and Basel Sinfonietta. With seating for 1400 people, it is internationally acclaimed for its exceptional acoustics. When the hall was built in 1876, service facilities were severely curtailed due to budget constraints. This issue was partially resolved in 1939 by tacking extensions onto the structure. Given these profound changes over the past 80 years, it is impossible for the outdated, cramped facilities to meet the needs of a contemporary concert hall. The survival of this invaluable venue for music necessitated urgent structural renovation and repairs as well as indispensable expansion to accommodate a spacious lobby, backstage facilities for performers, and other technical services.

The Extension
We explored a number of possibilities and variations for generating more space to house the additional facilities required for the Musiksaal. We focused on the area between the Musiksaal and the Barfüsserkirche, where the cloisters had been built in the Middle Ages. The area had consequently been cleared for architectural modifications by the Department of Historic Preservation. Initially we proposed extensions to the building between the Barfüsserkirche and the Musiksaal in analogy to the former cloisters but soon jettisoned the idea on urban, architectural, and operational grounds. The Stehlin Musiksaal was brilliantly conceived as a palazzo and all attempts to add on to the building looked like ridiculous patchwork. Similar to the annex of 1939, the extension facing the church would have been perceived as being behind the building and thus inferior to the façade facing Steinenberg.
The only viable solution was to treat the Musiksaal as an autonomous building, uncoupled from the 1939 Casino.

A Palazzo
As an independent building, the Musiksaal obviously had to be bigger than the existing core building of 1876. It would have to grow out of the old building as if it had always been there. That is why it was so important to design the addition, accommodating foyers, service facilities, rehearsal rooms and dressing rooms, so that it appears, at least at first sight, to be in the same neo-Baroque architectural tradition. Our design is based on the rear façade of Stehlin’s building, which had long been largely hidden behind the old extensions. With digital technologies we scanned the façade and we reconstructed it to original scale.
The solid masonry of the historical façade has given way to a façade of insulated, reinforced concrete with rear- ventilated cladding in keeping with contemporary building technology and climate control. We decided that wood would be the most suitable cladding and modified the geometry of the original façade just slightly to meet the structural requirements of that material.
When the Musiksaal was built in the 19th century, certain elements were made out of wood and then painted to match the design of the whole, like the seemingly massive cornice, which had been painted to look like the stone of the façade. The same applies to the columns inside, which had been constructed in wood or plaster because of the acoustics. They, too, were painted to look like stone.

The Lane
Separating the operations of the concert hall and the Stadtcasino also meant demolishing the former entrance area with its staircase. This allowed for a direct connection between Steinenberg and Barfüsserplatz, where carriages used to pull up, prior to the demolition of the Berri building in 1938 and the construction of the new Stadtcasino in 1939. Thus, the Musiksaal is now oriented both toward the former Steinenberg Cultural Mile and Barfüsserplatz; it is a clear-cut presence on Barfüsserplatz, sharing the space on equal footing with the imposing Barfüsserkirche. The area between the Church and the Musiksaal, once merely perceived as kind of rear courtyard, has become a new public space.
This volumetric recovery of urban space draws attention to other weaknesses. The 1939 Casino has always turned its back to the square, with a rear façade that looks like an apartment building. Furthermore, the 1980s design of Barfüsserplatz includes a tram stop that obstructs the square. The situation undoubtedly needs further consideration, especially as Barfüsserplatz is one of Basel’s most important public spaces.

The Stehlin Musiksaal
The Musiksaal has been significantly modified several times since it was built in 1876, first in 1905 in conjunction with the Hans Huber Hall built by Fritz Stehlin, at which time an organ was built into the hall, stucco decoration applied to the ceiling, the busts of musicians placed against the walls, and the color scheme revamped. The second major refurbishment followed in 1939, when the old Casino was torn down to make room for the current building by architects Kehlstadt & Brodtbeck. A significant increase in the incline of the rear balcony provided access from the balcony to the newly erected building in between. Further adjustments in the years that followed include closing off the skylight and the windows, replacing the historical seating, redesigning the historical chandeliers, replacing the original parquet, and introducing an entirely new color scheme.
The current restoration of the concert hall has been carried out in close collaboration with the Cantonal Department of Cultural Heritage. The aim of restoring the building to its original state at the time it was first renovated in 1905 went hand-in-hand with the top priority of preserving the hall’s acoustic properties. We opened up the skylight and the windows again, re-created the original seating, reduced the incline of the balcony, laid a duplicate of the original parquet flooring, and restored the color scheme of 1905.

The Foyers
The enlargement of the overall volume directly adjoining the concert hall generates space on several levels to accommodate foyers and bars as well as rehearsal rooms, dressing rooms and service facilities. The Hans Huber Saal will continue to host chamber music and is now accessed directly from the new foyers.
The new foyers flanking the concert hall are arranged on two levels, accessing the parquet and the balcony. We have exposed the façade facing the concert hall, mirroring it as a new outside wall. For the end walls, however, we use mirrors, a popular element of the 19th-century, making the hall more spacious in combination with the mirrored ceiling. The corners of the upper foyer are detached from the side walls, so that it seems to be a floating, elliptical panel. The two levels of the foyer, with a central hole, are thus perceived as a single space.
Outside, we focused on simulation in designing the extension of the Stadtcasino, while inside we celebrated the stylistic elements of the 19th-century by heightening the artificiality of form, material, and color.

The Staircases
Despite the urban constraints on the extension of the Stadtcasino, we wanted to provide as much space as possible for audiences. Therefore, in addition to the foyers, we added loggia-like recesses to the expansive staircases, where people can linger during intermissions.
We had the original brocade wallpaper reproduced by the Manufacture Prelle in Lyon. Founded in 1752, the company had already woven these wallpapers for the Opéra Garnier the year before the concert hall opened in 1876.

We worked out a custom-made design for the new parquet of the Casino. The lens-shaped geometry of the pattern echoes the wallpaper, while the parquetry is laid out left and right, following the grain of the wood in reference to the historical herringbone parquet of the concert hall.
Taking inspiration from the historical crystal chandeliers, we designed the “Parrucca” luminaire—modern LED lighting to line the staircases in the casino. The play of the light is multiplied by the silver of the hammered metal on the ceilings, which artificially heightens the room.

The Hans Huber Saal, the Rehearsal Rooms and the Dressing Rooms
Fritz Stehlin built the Hans Huber Saal for chamber music in 1905 to complement the concert hall. It has been largely restored to its original state in cooperation with the Department of Cultural Heritage. The musicians’ foyer and the dressing rooms built along with the chamber music hall have been similarly restored. In addition to returning to the original color scheme, we referred to historical documents in order to reconstruct the paneling, windows, and doors that had been replaced in later renovations.
The existing dressing rooms of the Hans Huber Saal have been supplemented by new rooms on the top floor of the extension for the casino society. There are also three dormer windows that afford new views of Barfüsserplatz and the Barfüsserkircheand, on the other side, of the historical roof of the concert hall, thanks to the newly created courtyard.
(Herzog & de Meuron)

【シュタットカジノ・バーゼル】

主用途:コンサートホール
所在地:スイス バーゼル
竣工:2020年

クライアント:カジノ・ゲーゼル(スイス バーゼル)
ヘルツォーク&ド・ムーロンチーム
パートナー:ジャック・ヘルツォーク、ピエール・ド・ムーロン、アンドレアス・フリース(担当パートナー)
プロジェクトチーム:トーステン・ケンパー(アソシエイト、プロジェクトマネージャー)、ミヒャエル・シュミット(アソシエイト、プロジェクトマネージャー)、ステファン・ウェーバー(プロジェクトアーキテクト)、インガ・フェデレ(プロジェクトアーキテクト)、ローマン・エイビ(ワークショップ)、カエターノ・ブラガ・ダ・コスタ・デ・ブラガンサ、アレッシア・カテラーニ、アクセル・シヴルーレ、フェデリカ・フォン・ユー、ノエル・ファー、ジュディス・ファンケ、ジョアンナ・カロリナ・ガジュダ、ルイス・ギスラー、エレナ・クリンナート、オクサナ・クラウゼ、ソフィア・ランズシャー、マルシン・アーネスト・メジャク、ヨランダ・デ・ルエダ、フアン・サラ、エドゥアルド・サルガド・モルト、ギュンター・シュウォブ(ワークショップ)、フランシスカ・ソアレス・デ・モウラ、マティアス・スタウチ、フローリア・ストロー、アナ-ミルナ・ツトベアヌ、ダニエル・ウィルソン

プロジェクト・アーキテクト:ヘルツォーク&ド・ムーロン
MEPエンジニアリング:Waldhauser+Hermann
構造:A. Aegerter & Dr. O. Bosshardt
HVACエンジニアリング:Waldhauser+Hermann
エグゼクティブアーキテクト:リッター・ギーガー・シュミット・アーキテクトテンSIA
電気:プロエンジニアリングAG、バーゼル、スイス
配管:スイセクトラ・エンジニアリング・カンパニー
プロジェクト管理:Glator

音響:ミュラー-BBM
照明:リフレクション
ファサード:ブリ・ミューラー・パートナー
オーディオビジュアル:auviso audio visual solutions
ファサード:ピルミン・ユング・インジェニウレ
防火:グルーナー
調査:A.エーガーター&Dr. O. ボスハルト
地質:地盤工学研究所

写真:ローマン・ウェイネス

延床面積:8488m²
地上面積:5695m²
地下面積:2793m²
階数:7階
建築面積:1900m²
建物寸法 長さ:55m、幅:36m、高さ:22m
総容積:46943m3
ファサード面積:2700m²

【Stadtcasino Basel】

Principal use: Concert Hall
Location: Basel, Switzerland
Completion: 2020

Client: Casino-Gesellschaft Basel, Switzerland
Herzog & de Meuron Team
Partners: Jacques Herzog, Pierre de Meuron, Andreas Fries (Partner in Charge)
Project Team: Thorsten Kemper (Associate, Project Manager), Michael Schmidt (Associate, Project Manager), Stephan Weber (Project Architect), Inga Federe (Project Architect)
Roman Aebi (Workshop), Caetano Braga da Costa de Bragança, Alessia Catellani, Axel Chevroulet, Federica von Euw, Noël Fäh, Judith Funke, Joanna Karolina Gajda, Luis Gisler, Elena Klinnert, Oxana Krause, Sophia Landsherr, Marcin Ernest Mejsak, Yolanda de Rueda, Juan Sala, Eduardo Salgado Mordt, Günter Schwob (Workshop), Francisca Soares de Moura, Matthias Stauch, Florian Stroh, Ana Miruna Tutoveanu, Daniel Wilson

Project Architect: Herzog & de Meuron, Basel, Switzerland
MEP Engineering: Waldhauser+Hermann AG, Münchenstein, Switzerland
Structural Engineering: A. Aegerter & Dr. O. Bosshardt AG, Basel, Switzerland
HVAC Engineering: Waldhauser+Hermann AG, Münchenstein, Switzerland
Executive Architect: Ritter Giger Schmid Architekten SIA AG, Basel, Switzerland
Electrical Engineering: Pro Engineering AG, Basel, Switzerland
Plumbing Engineering: Suiselectra Ingenieurunternehmung AG, Basel, Switzerland
Project Management: Glator AG, Birsfelden, Switzerland

Acoustic: Müller-BBM GmbH, Planegg; Germany
Lighting: Reflexion AG, Zürich, Switzerland
Facade: Buri Mueller Partner GmbH, Burgdorf, Switzerland
Audio Visual: auviso audio visual solutions AG, Muttenz, Switzerland
Facade: Pirmin Jung Ingenieure AG, Rain, Switzerland
Fire Protection: Gruner AG Brandschutz, Basel, Switzerland
Surveyor: A. Aegerter & Dr. O. Bosshardt AG, Basel, Switzerland
Geotechnic: Geotechnisches Institut AG Basel, Basel, Switzerland

Photographs: Roman Weyeneth

Gross floor area (GFA) : 91,363 sqft / 8,488 sqm
GFA above ground: 61,300 sqft / 5,695 sqm
GFA below ground: 30,063 sqft / 2,793 sqm
Number of levels: 7
Footprint: 20,451 sqft / 1,900 sqm
Building dimensions: Length: 180 ft / 55 m; Width: 118 ft / 36 m; Height: 72 ft / 22 m
Gross volume (GV): 1,657,777 cbft / 46,943 cbm
Facade surface: 29,062 sqft / 2,700 sqm